Introduction to Islam [Classroom]

A course that will cover origins of Islam, life of the Muhammad its founder, is sacred book Quran, basic islamic concepts as well as some of the various sects into which Islam is divided. At the conclusion of the course Islam's place in the modern world shall be discussed.
Crushita Telcontar
Nation: The Haven of Valar
Discord ID: Crushita#1257

Badges

Introduction to Islam [Classroom]

Post by Crushita Telcontar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Introduction to Islam: Classroom
This is the classroom of Introduction to Islam, please feel free to post here and join in the discussion!

Lecture 1 Reading
If you're looking for an answer to How and Why Islam, you've come to the right place! Because the answer is that is what's in next lecture. I'm sorry :P
The reading for this week will help you approach this topic though. For this lecture I've linked the first chapter of Hugh Kennedy's The Prophet and the Age of the Caliphates discussing the world on the eve of Islam. Yes, I'm sorry, there's reading and it'll only get worse from here, but you won't learn anything if I don't make you think :P

Once you're done please answer these questions and discuss them with your peers:

What were the two great empire that dominated the Near East on the eve of Islam?
What were the religions that they followed and how did this impact them?
What were the major events in both empires during this period?
Was this chapter helpful? What are your critical thoughts on the text and its quality? Does the author explain things well or are you left confused by it?
Discuss with your peers! What questions do you have after reading this that you'd like to be answered further?

Khosrow

Orders

Ribbons

Badges

Re: Introduction to Islam [Classroom]

Post by Khosrow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 am

What were the two great empire that dominated the Near East on the eve of Islam? Sasanian and Roman Empires

What were the religions that they followed and how did this impact them? Zoroastrianism and Christianity. The Sasanian Empire's adherence to

What were the major events in both empires during this period? The first waves of the Bubonic plague and earthquakes ravaged Rome while the Sasanian invasions from the East burned down Antioch and various other important Syria centers. In Iran, the Mazdakis had risen up and been crushed and Khosrow I had enacted a series of reforms in an attempt to limit the powers of the aristocracy and establish a more stable army.

Was this chapter helpful? What are your critical thoughts on the text and its quality? Does the author explain things well or are you left confused by it? I think he does fairly well. The writing is clear and concise. In addition, it's structured relatively well and organized into relevant sections.

Discuss with your peers! What questions do you have after reading this that you'd like to be answered further? Nothing as of now.
Recipient of the Order of the Crow, First Class
Recipient of the Order of the Falcon, Second Class
Praetorian Prefect
Senator of Mare Nostrum
Legatus of the Legion
Priest of the Scholar
Chairman of the Optimates Party
Integrator
Recipient of the Imperial Whale of Approval

Return to “Introduction to Islam”