Favorite constitution?

The seat of discussion and activity in The Empire of Mare Nostrum. All are welcome to join into the discussions.
Paulus Augustus

Favorite constitution?

Post by Paulus Augustus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:47 am

During my NS tenure, I wrote many constitutions and saw even more. I think that any player that likes activities pertaining to the legislative, also saw a lot of them. It's the most basic kind of law and almost every political region has it. Even EMN has it, although in a rump state of the First Law.

So, I wonder... Did any of you grow a preference for any particular constitution? RL or NS, I would like to hear it.

Saphalus
Nation: Central Centurial
Discord ID: LordProtector#7713

Orders

Badges

Re: Favorite constitution?

Post by Saphalus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:44 am

I'm going off with the Indonesian constitution because this is practically the only one where I know the history behind it. I'm more specifically referring to the preamble.
Indonesian Constitution wrote:
Whereas independence is the inalienable right of all nations, therefore, all
colonialism must be abolished in this world as it is not in conformity with
humanity and justice; And the moment of rejoicing has arrived in the struggle of
the Indonesian independence movement to guide the people safely and well to
the gate of the independence of the state of Indonesia which shall be
independent, united, sovereign, just and prosperous; By the grace of God
Almighty and motivated by the noble desire to live a free national life, the people
of Indonesia hereby declare their independence.
Nationstates-wise, Mare Nostrum's constitution has to be my favorite cause it's simple and to the point.
Saphalus

[+] Positions
[+] Current
Tribune of Communications
Revelator of the Most High Gods
Public Affairs
Roleplay
Senator
[+] Former
Order of Mpwah
Reimdecoss Party
[/spoiler]

Paulus Augustus

Post by Paulus Augustus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

I like the preamble you quoted.

I don't like our First Law all that much, tbh. But it's still better from the current Polish constitution.

I prefer the so-called April Constitution. It was promulgated on 24th of (surprise) April 1935 and was in force for whooping 4 years in Poland. But it actually was the constitution used by our government in exile, all the way to the 90s. Yes, Polish Government in Exile was a thing till 1990.

Anyway, here are the first 5 articles (this constitution doesn't have a preamble, much to my sadness):
I. Republic of Poland

Art. 1
  1. The Polish State is the common good of all citizens.
  2. Resurrected by the struggle and sacrifice of its best sons, it is to be passed down in inheritance from generation to generation.
  3. Every generation is required to, by its own toil, increase the power and respect of the State.
  4. For the fulfilment of this duty a generation answers before its posterity. A generation will lose its name and honor, if it fails to fulfill it.
Art. 2
  1. At the helm of the State stands the President of the Republic.
  2. On Him rests the responsibility before God and history for the fate of the State.
  3. His chief duty is the care for the State's good, defensive readiness, and position among the nations of the world.
  4. In His person lies the unitary and indivisible State's power.
Art. 3
  1. Organs of the State, remaining under the headship of the President of the Republic, are:
    the Government,
    the Sejm,
    the Senate,
    the Armed Forces,
    the Courts,
    the State Control.
  2. Their chief task is serving the Republic.
Art. 4
  1. Inside the State and resting on it is formed the life of the society.
  2. The State provides for it the free growth and, when the common good requires it - directs it or sets up a norm for its conditions.
  3. The State will create the territorial and economic self-rule to participate in fulfilling the tasks of the communal life.
Art. 5
  1. The work of an individual serves to increase the communal life.
  2. The State provides for the citizens the possibility for advancing their personal values and provides the freedom of conscience, of speech, and of assembly.
  3. A limit to those freedoms is the common good.

je-repac
Nation: Achaean Republic
Discord ID: je-repac

Badges

Post by je-repac » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Beyond the US constitution (because, of course), I like the Bill of Rights of the Puerto Rican constitution, which expands from the American version (and yes, we do have a constitution) that includes provisions like:

[*]death penalty is unconstitutional
[*]no wire-tapping (sorry, Watergate!)
[*]no child labor under 14 years old
[*]right for workers to organize and strike collectively in order to guarantee rights
[*]and other social rights like right to work, right to housing, and social protections in the event of unemployment and disability

I attach the following link of the Constitution in English: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitu ... uerto_Rico

(P.S: for Puerto Rican assemblymembers, they must speak English OR Spanish in order to serve in the government; in practice, only some know English.)

Saphalus
Nation: Central Centurial
Discord ID: LordProtector#7713

Orders

Badges

Post by Saphalus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 am

Huh, it looks pretty neat. Does Puerto Rico also has to recognize US Laws or are they like autonomous to a certain extent?
Saphalus

[+] Positions
[+] Current
Tribune of Communications
Revelator of the Most High Gods
Public Affairs
Roleplay
Senator
[+] Former
Order of Mpwah
Reimdecoss Party
[/spoiler]

je-repac
Nation: Achaean Republic
Discord ID: je-repac

Badges

Post by je-repac » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Saphalus wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 am
Huh, it looks pretty neat. Does Puerto Rico also has to recognize US Laws or are they like autonomous to a certain extent?
Eh... It's complicated.

We have the authority to make our own laws...in our territory. But we're still subject to US law, so technically the US can do whatever it wants with us.

For instance, we don't pay federal income tax beyond your regular FICA taxes (Social Security + Medicaid) unless someone works directly with the federal government. HOWEVER, we're still politically disenfranchised from major decisions taken in the US. We're "autonomous" to a point, but in reality we're more like a glorified colony.

Like I said, it's complicated.

Return to “The Public Forum”